Wednesday 15 November 2017

Hollow Form Concepts


For this kind of 3D printing, the object in question needs to be self-supporting, so as not to collapse during the printing process. This requires designs with specific modifications. No flat planes can be added, because, with nothing to attach to, the plastic will simply fall to the base. This also means no steep angles, as lower levels of the object will not be able to support upper layers.

This was my first attempt at designing objects specifically for 3D printing. I was intrigued by the twist feature in Rhino and had fun playing around with it. For these objects in particularly, however, I'm unsure about the level of support necessary for the curves. Several appear steep enough to potentially cause problems while printing.





With these next objects, I tried to focus less on the spirals provided by the twist feature, and more on random combined shapes.


While I did like the second of these two designs, I wanted to go back to the twisted designs, but this time with a less pronounced twist.





After playing around with twisted objects I explored a kind of stacked objects.







Out of all designs, I think the stacked objects are far more likely to be successful because they don't rely on large twists and curves that could potentially prove to be disastrous prints.




No comments:

Post a Comment