Tuesday 17 October 2017

Objects Unfolded


For this project I have ten objects that I've encountered in my lifetime that I have designed in Rhino that have been unfolded into flat templates for easy printing. 

Pool Cue:


First off is the pool cue. I honestly cannot remember a time without the pool table, I'm sure it was purchased long before I was born. I am absolutely terrible at the game and only play with close friends. I didn't choose the pool cue because I'm a pool champion though. I have strong memories of the pool table at my old house; my brother and his best friend used to play all the time. That was so long ago I probably wasn't tall enough to play myself but I loved watching and the table was in a tight enough space that you had to dodge pool cues when the guys took their shots so the object definitely came to mind when I started this project.

Marker and Cap:


Honestly, the marker is probably what got me into art. When I was younger I was glued to colouring books and I always hated crayons with a passion. Even now I like incorporating marker into my art every once and a while so I'd say it's been with me while I've grown as an artist.

Tool Box:


This is the only thing I've ever really built. I'm not sure how my middle school teachers managed to get me to do this. But honestly it's something I was really proud of when I built and had to try building in Rhino. 

Lamp:


I've had the same lamp for at least a decade. From when I used to stay up late reading to now when I fall asleep doing homework and I accidentally leave it on. As well as the time when I was younger and I almost started a fire because I could turn the light green by putting a plastic green cup over the lightbulb! The object fits right in to this collection.

Marbles Board:


I never met my great grandpa but he built like a dozen decent board games (all the same game) for members of his family. My family has at least one, my grandparents have a couple and so on. It's like the game Sorry but the board forms a hexagon shape and there are small indents in the board (not shown in the 3D model) for marbles to sit and be moved around as pawns. This game gets overplayed around Christmas.

Bean Bag Toss:


I have family friends that are super competitive and for some reason they these giant planks with a hole cut through them (circular in real life but square in the 3D model). They're used for ridiculously intense games of bean bag toss where its like 1 point if you toss one and it lands on the surface of the plank and 3 if you get one through the hole. 

Pumpkin: 


Halloween is like the best holiday in my opinion. For one, there's free candy (until you get older and it sadly becomes less socially acceptable to beg strangers for sugar). But I've always been a fan of the typical horror stuff around Halloween and Halloween traditions. The pumpkin is like a Halloween icon and since it's October I had to try to create my own version (which kinda turned out looking like a squashed candy apple- which is at least still within the Halloween theme!)

Tardis Mug:


There are two times when I seriously need tea. One is when I'm reading or writing because I've come to associate that with being sophisticated or like the stereotypical reader/writer. The other is during long, intensive study sessions. Basically, tea got me through high school and will hopefully lend a hand during my ACAD years as well. I couldn't just make any typical mug though. No, I'm a bit of a geek so I re-created the mug I own that's shaped like the Tardis from Doctor Who. There's a space between the rectangular prism and roof shape to show that it's a lid. 

Golf Club:




I've played golf for years. Frankly I'm still terrible at it, but I've put in plenty of hours practicing. The way I designed it is more like a double-sided putter you'd find at a mini golf place. The club also brings back childhood memories of time spent in my grandparents' basement with a made up game that involved asking people to toss golfballs at me so I could block it with the club (it sounds a lot more dangerous than it actually was I swear!).

Chopsticks


Alright, a lot of the objects I've created thus far have had connections to my childhood. This object is an outlier. I did not grow up using chopsticks. My sister and mom have a package of them they use occasionally. I included them on this list because I have recent connections to them. In grade eleven I spent two weeks on a class trip to Japan and it was without a doubt the best trip I've ever been on. We had teachers and school councillors as chaperones and mine decided to gift our group with some cute chopsticks she'd found, which of course I still have. Ironically enough, my skills when it comes to handling chopsticks are, well, choppy. I don't hold my pencil properly so holding chopsticks is also difficult so sometimes it works out and other times it just doesn't.


I honestly love the design of my marker, I feel like I got the tip just right. While working on some objects I realized that layering shapes doesn't always work out and that it can make the flat template difficult or even impossible. For some of the objects I just had to separate the problem shapes into their own mini templates.


You can see here that the hexagon has nowhere to fall because the rectangle it stands on impedes its path.


The same problem exists between the side of the toolbox and the pole.


And finally between the stem of the pumpkin and the top piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment